Friday, March 1, 2013

Mike Milbury Rant on Alexander Ovechkin

           VS.           

Now I didn't want to cover this, but the more talk that gets thrown around about what Alexander Ovechkin does & doesn't do, the more it becomes apparent that Mike Milbury may be right. Recently Milbury refered to the Pittsburgh offense, especially Evgeni Malkin, as guys "on crack" (but in a strange, good way). Now he goes off on another premier player in the league in Ovechkin, but this time with good reason. Here's the epic rant if you haven't seen it yet:



First off let me point out that this was an amazing rant. Subject aside, Milbury fired off on a tangent. If he was in any other position it would be considered unproffesional, but hey, he's a commentator. Alex didn't seemed bothered by any of this though. Here's a direct quote from an article by Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times:
“Well it’s his point,” Ovechkin said. “I don’t listen to those guys; I don’t listen to nobody right now, so they can talk whatever they want, to be honest with you.”
Read more: Alex Ovechkin brushes off Mike Milbury's criticism 
Follow the Washington Times on twitter: @washtimes on Twitter
In a way Milbury is right. If I was gifted with the size & talent level of Alexander Ovechkin I'd play every night as if it were my last. But then one doesn't know how they will act once placed in that position. I've seen this trend happen with a lot of Russian & European players: Stellar performances for 3-4 years, then a sharp drop in production for the remainder of their career (but still above average than the rest of the pack). Ovechkin will always be talented, I guess we just got to wait a little longer now between each spark he gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment