Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Patrick Kaleta Suspended 5 Games by Shanahan



I always like reporting on player's safety, & for the most part Brendan Shanahan
usually gets the call right with his group of men. This time I'm not so sure. The other night, Buffalo Sabres' Patrick Kaleta gave an illegal hit from behind on New York Rangers' Brad Richards that sent him sliding not so violently, yet dangerouly into the boards.

After reviewing the incident, Shanahan and the player's safety committee decided on a 5-game suspension of Kaleta. Here's the break down by Shanahan:



I personally think 5 games may be a little harsh, but if they're trying to send a message to a repeat offender that this will not be tolerated then I guess you must. I think 3 games & a fine wouldv'e been substantial & my reasoning is that maybe Richards embelished a little. The angle at which Kaleta thrusted his stick into the back of Richards didn't seem low or high enough to naturally send him into the boards so hard.

With so many player's embellishing these days its hard to say whether Richards really was put down on the floor that hard. He even looked back at Kaleta to see how close he was for a pretty long duration. He also seemed to brace himself alright enough for the blow on the boards, & then grabbed his head in pain like if he was dying on the ice. I don't know, I'm all for player's safety, & that's why Kaleta should be punished, but it just seemed too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment